Re: Performance on Sun Fire X4150 x64 (dd, bonnie++, pgbench)

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Stephane Bailliez <sbailliez(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance on Sun Fire X4150 x64 (dd, bonnie++, pgbench)
Date: 2008-07-22 17:21:59
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008, Stephane Bailliez wrote:

> I'm 'migrating' (read entirely changing schemas, 'migrating' data) is
> coming out from a 8.1.11 install. It is not a critical system. The
> source data is always available from another system and the postgresql
> system would be a 'client'. So if 8.2.x is so abysmal it should not even
> be considered for install compared to 8.1.x and that only 8.3.x is
> viable then ok that makes sense and I have to go the extra mile.

8.2 is a big improvement over the 8.1 you're on now, and 8.3 is a further
improvement. If the system isn't critical, it doesn't sound like doing a
later 8.2->8.3 upgrade (rather than going right to 8.3 now) will be a big
deal for you. Just wanted you to be aware that upgrading larger installs
gets tricky sometimes, so it's best to avoid that if you could just do
more up-front work instead to start on a later version if practical.