Re: Sources of information about sizing of hardwares to run PostgreSQL

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Sérgio R F Oliveira <sergio(dot)r(dot)f(dot)oliveira(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sources of information about sizing of hardwares to run PostgreSQL
Date: 2008-06-29 19:04:21
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Fri, 27 Jun 2008, Sérgio R F Oliveira wrote:

> I need to specify servers and storage to run PostgreSQL. Does anyone
> know any source of information (articles, presentations, books, etc.)
> which describes methods of hardware sizing for running a large
> PostgreSLQ installation?

There aren't any, just a fair number of people who know how to do it and
some scattered bits of lore on the subject.  The quickest way to get some
sort of estimate that is actually useful is to create a small prototype of
some tables you expect will be the larger ones for the application, load
some data into them, measure how big they are, and then extrapolate from
there.  I'm dumping links and notes on the subject of measurements like
that http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Disk_Usage that should get you
started with such a simulation.