Re: posix advises ...

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Zoltan Boszormenyi <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Hans-Juergen Schoenig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>, pgsql-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: posix advises ...
Date: 2008-06-19 23:19:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008, Zoltan Boszormenyi wrote:

> This patch (revisited and ported to current CVS HEAD) is indeed using
> Greg's original patch and also added another patch written by Mark Wong
> that helps evicting closed XLOGs from memory faster.

Great, that will save me some trouble. I've got a stack of Linux
performance testing queued up (got stuck behind a kernel bug impacting
pgbench) for the next couple of weeks and I'll include this in that
testing. I think I've got a similar class of hardware as you tested on
for initial evaluation--I'm getting around 200MB/s sequential I/O right
now out of my small RAID setup,.

I added your patch to the queue for next month's CommitFest and listed
myself as the initial reviewer, but a commit that soon is unlikely.
Performance tests like this usually take a while to converge, and since
this is using a less popular API I expect a round of portability concerns,
too.

Where did Marc's patch come from? I'd like to be able to separate out
that change from the rest if necessary.

Also, if you have any specific test cases you ran that I could start by
trying to replicate a speedup on, those would be handy as well.