Re: PostgreSQL derivatives

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Seth Grimes <grimes(at)altaplana(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL derivatives
Date: 2008-06-12 14:41:45
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008, Dave Page wrote:

> The tangible benefits to Truviso and Greenplum are obviously far less
> than they are to 2nd Quadrant or EnterpriseDB because their businesses
> are built around such heavily modified versions of the server.

It would be more accurate to consider Truviso's product a heavily extended
version of the server, rather than doing so much modifying of the stock
PostgreSQL programs like Greenplum does. We've been kicking back any
internal upgrades we needed to the core code itself whenever possible,
just haven't been too many of them yet because we're still so busy
building new extensions instead.