Re: RAM / Disk ratio, any rule?

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Mathieu Gilardet <mgilardet(at)alaloop(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RAM / Disk ratio, any rule?
Date: 2008-06-05 00:32:29
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Wed, 4 Jun 2008, Mathieu Gilardet wrote:

> Do be more specific, we have an heavy loaded server with SCSI disks
> (RAID 0 on a SAS controller), making a total of 500GB. Actually, there
> are 16GB RAM, representing about 2,5% of db size.

That's a reasonable ratio.  Being able to hold somewhere around 1 to 5% of
the database in RAM seems to common nowadays, and that works OK.  But it's
impossible to have a hard "rule" here because the working set needed to
operate the queries and other activities on your server is completely
dependant on the code you're running, your performance expectations, and
your expected user load.