Re: Overhauling GUCS

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Overhauling GUCS
Date: 2008-06-05 00:16:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008, Tom Lane wrote:

> The real problem we need to solve is how to allow newbies to have the
> system auto-configured to something that more or less solves their
> problems. Putting the config settings in XML does not accomplish that,
> and neither does putting them inside the database.

The subtle issue here is that what makes sense for the database
configuration changes over time; there's not just one initial generation
and you're done. postgresql.conf files can end up moving from one machine
to another for example. I think something that doesn't recognize that
reality and move toward a "tune-up" capability as well as initial
generation wouldn't be as useful, and that's where putting the settings
inside the database helps so much.

Also, there's a certain elegance to having a optimization tool that works
again either a new installation or an existing one. I personally have
zero interest in a one-shot config generator. It just doesn't solve the
problems I see in the field. Performance starts out just fine even with
the default settings when people first start, and then goes to hell after
the system has been running for a while (and possibly moved to another
machine). By that point nobody wants to mess with their configuration
file unless it's one simple change at a time.