Re: Overhauling GUCS

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: "Jignesh K(dot) Shah" <J(dot)K(dot)Shah(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Overhauling GUCS
Date: 2008-06-02 16:47:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2 Jun 2008, Jignesh K. Shah wrote:

> Most people I have seen will increase one or few but not all parameters
> related to memory which can result in loss of performance and
> productivity in figuring out.

If it becomes easier to build a simple tool available to help people tune
their configurations, that should help here without having to do anything
more complicated than that.

> What happened to AvailRAM setting and base all memory gucs on that.

Like some of the other GUC simplification ideas that show up sometimes
(unifying all I/O and limiting background processes based on that total is
another), this is hard to do internally.  Josh's proposal has a fair
amount of work involved, but the code itself doesn't need to be clever or
too intrusive.  Unifying all the memory settings would require being both
clever and intrusive, and I doubt you'll find anybody who could pull it
off who isn't already overtasked with more important improvements for the
8.4 timeframe.