Re: I/O on select count(*)

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: I/O on select count(*)
Date: 2008-05-18 05:28:26
Lists: pgsql-performance
I just collected all the good internals information included in this
thread and popped it onto http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Hint_Bits where
I'll continue to hack away at the text until it's readable.  Thanks to
everyone who answered my questions here, that's good progress toward
clearing up a very underdocumented area.

I note a couple of potential TODO items not on the official list yet that
came up during this discussion:

-Smooth latency spikes when switching commit log pages by preallocating
cleared pages before they are needed

-Improve bulk loading by setting "frozen" hint bits for tuple inserts
which occur within the same database transaction as the creation of the
table into which they're being inserted

Did I miss anything?  I think everything brought up falls either into one
of those two or the existing "Consider having the background writer update
the transaction status hint bits..." TODO.