Re: WAL Log Size

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Sam Mason <sam(at)samason(dot)me(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WAL Log Size
Date: 2008-02-29 07:08:13
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008, Sam Mason wrote:

> Just out of interest, why doesn't it do the following?
>
> BEGIN;
> create table xlog_switch as
> select '0123456789ABCDE' from generate_series(1,1000000);
> ROLLBACK;

I'm not 100% sure here what happens when you do the above, and it depends
on version, but there are cases where creating a new or empty table in a
transaction is optimized to not create any WAL as a performance
improvement. This has become a common idiom for that reason:

BEGIN;
truncate table t;
copy t from '/fdsa/fds/afds.csv' with csv;
COMMIT;

To take advantage of this loading without WAL feature.

I wish I had more details here, never have found a more formal definition
of how this works than suggestions on the list.