Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 development plan

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 development plan
Date: 2008-02-10 00:40:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008, Jan Wieck wrote:

> It is pretty obvious that amost every current system has options to
> convert from or to mirror a CVS repository. But what if we someday
> really want to use something else as the master repository?

In order to export from CVS into one of the newer systems, there's a lot
of work involved. A typical problem is matching up all the commits that
happened at one particular timestamp and grouping them into a changeset.

Once you've crossed that hurdle, moving between newer tools is a lot
easier. Check out Tailor as an example for something that converts
changesets in between all the major tools:

http://wiki.darcs.net/DarcsWiki/Tailor

It should be much easier to run multiple types of repositories all in
parallel once CVS isn't one of them. And there will be more options for
easily moving to yet another system if the first choice proves wanting
after a while.