Re: Storing and querying boolean fields

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Richard Brown <rbrown(at)openratings(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Storing and querying boolean fields
Date: 2008-01-10 01:09:51
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008, Richard Brown wrote:

> - We are using PostgreSQL 7.3.4, and am locked into this version. I would
> upgrade if I could, but the decision is not mine.

Just make sure you CYA so when said server eats itself the decision maker
can't point the finger at you. Give them a copy of a dated written
statement from you with text like "PostgreSQL 7.3.4 has several major bugs
that are known to cause data corruption" and quote some of the choicer
items in the trail of release notes at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/static/release.html Some juicy ones are
in 7.3.7, 7.3.12, 7.3.19.

The bonus to this approach, where you disclaim the whole platform as known
to be unreliable, is that if you ever make a huge mistake you can shrug
off the blame by saying the old database that you told them was buggy, but
weren't allowed to upgrade, ate the data and it was totally not your
fault.