Re: More shared buffers causes lower performances

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: More shared buffers causes lower performances
Date: 2007-12-26 23:35:33
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007, Guillaume Smet wrote:

> beta RPMs are by default compiled with --enable-debug and
> --enable-cassert which doesn't help them to fly fast...

Got that right. Last time I was going crazy after running pgbench with
those options and not having realized what I changed, I was getting a 50%
slowdown on results that way compared to without the debugging stuff.
Didn't realize it scaled with shared_buffers though.

> Really sorry for the noise

Nothing to be sorry for, I know I wasn't aware the beta RPMs were compiled
that way. Probably need to put a disclaimer about that fact *somewhere*.
It's unfortunate for you, but I know I'm glad you run into it rather than
someone who wouldn't have followed through to figure out the cause.