Re: autoconf trouble in the CVS HEAD

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: autoconf trouble in the CVS HEAD
Date: 2007-12-19 02:09:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007, KaiGai Kohei wrote:

> It seems to me this check enforces us to use autoconf 2.59, not the latest one.
> Is there any reason for this change?

2.59 is the stable version of autoconf PostgreSQL 8.3 is built against,
and the check keeps anyone from accidentally running it against other
versions. Since as you've noticed some popular OSes have switched to
2.61, that test was put in there to keep people building a new configure
to give out to everyone from accidentally building against the wrong
version. The brutally long thread at
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-11/msg00706.php gives
more background on this topic.