Re: Quality and Performance

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Quality and Performance
Date: 2007-11-28 09:34:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, Simon Riggs wrote:

> My vision for that is a set of tests that test very specific aspects of
> code, much the same way as the regression tests attempt feature
> coverage. Examples would be
> - 10000 INSERTs
> - 10000 INSERTs using multi-VALUEs clauses
> - 100000 rows inserted by COPY
> - 100000 rows inserted by CTAS

In addition to these, there's actually a nice set of sample primitive
operations to test included in the "Advanced transactional" section of
sysbench: http://sysbench.sourceforge.net/docs/#database_mode

I have code that does this sort of thing, including tests at multiple
client loads, that even spits out HTML for the results. It's based on
pgbench and I sent out hundreds of results generated by it when I was
doing the background writer optimization. The results are thoroughly
boring on just my system, and I'm just waiting for a larger server to be
available before it's worth my trouble to revive that project. Once such
a system becomes available, I could have a basic set of tests like these
ready the day after I get a login.

That's not to say what you're talking about isn't needed, because using
pgbench introduces some limitations and buildfarm integration is a whole
different topic. But I have made a first move here and only need the
hardware to become available before I can produce something useful with
it.