Re: PANIC caused by open_sync on Linux

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PANIC caused by open_sync on Linux
Date: 2007-10-27 02:39:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 26 Oct 2007, Tom Lane wrote:

>> The 8.3 bgwriter keeps running even during checkpoints, so it's feasible
>> to add such a feature now.
> I wonder though whether the walwriter wouldn't be a better place for it.

I do, too, but that wasn't available until too late in the 8.3 cycle to
consider adding this feature to there either.

There's a couple of potential to-do list ideas that build on the changes
in this area in 8.3:

-Aggressively pre-allocate WAL segments
-Space out checkpoint fsync requests in addition to disk writes
-Consider re-inserting a smarter bgwriter all-scan that writes sorted by
usage count during idle periods