Re: building a performance test suite

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Kevin Kempter <kevin(at)kevinkempterllc(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: building a performance test suite
Date: 2007-10-11 03:14:02
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, Kevin Kempter wrote:

> should I be looking at others like pg_statio or pg_stat_all_tables ? If
> so, what should I look for in these (or other) tables?

There are a good set of monitoring scripts for performance-oriented things
included with the dbt2 benchmarking package,
http://sourceforge.net/projects/osdldbt

You can just use the SVN browse to take a look at the data collected by
that; see /trunk/dbt2/bin/pgsql/dbt2-pgsql-db-stat.in for some good things
to get started with. For example, here's the pg_statio info they save:

SELECT relid, relname, heap_blks_read, heap_blks_hit, idx_blks_read,
idx_blks_hit FROM pg_statio_user_tables ORDER BY relname;

SELECT relid, indexrelid, relname, indexrelname, idx_blks_read,
idx_blks_hit FROM pg_statio_user_indexes ORDER BY indexrelname;

Pretty much everything in pg_stat_user_tables is worth collecting. And
you probably want to use the user oriented views rather than the all ones
(pg_stat_user_tables instead of pg_stat_all_tables) so you don't clutter
your results with what's going on in the system tables--unless your test
incudes lots of table modifications that is. Look at both of them and
you'll see what I mean.