Re: top for postgresql (ptop?)

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: top for postgresql (ptop?)
Date: 2007-09-26 04:15:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, Luke Lonergan wrote:

> One strategy we've considered is to use the same approach as "pstack" on
> Solaris - it takes a pid and dumps the stack of a backend, which clearly
> shows which executor node is being worked on currently.  I think pstack
> uses dtrace underneath the hood...

pstack has been around since the SunOS days, long before dtrace was in
Solaris, so it at least used to operate some other way.  I know they added
some features to Solaris 10 that let pstack look into Java librarites that
may leverage dtrace, but I don't believe the internals of the main pstack
tool rely on it when looking at regular processes.

It's also worth noting that there's a similar Linux utility called gstack.