Re: Linux mis-reporting memory

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Linux mis-reporting memory
Date: 2007-09-21 19:24:06
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007, Decibel! wrote:

> I'm finding this rather interesting report from top on a Debian box...
> how is it that linux thinks that 30G is cached?

top on Linux gives weird results when faced with situations where there's
shared memory involved. I look at /proc/meminfo and run ipcs when I want
a better idea what's going on. As good of an article on this topic as
I've found is http://gentoo-wiki.com/FAQ_Linux_Memory_Management which
recommends using free to clarify how big the disk cache really is.