Re: Installing PostgreSQL

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: "Campbell, Lance" <lance(at)uiuc(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Installing PostgreSQL
Date: 2007-08-23 17:25:42
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007, Campbell, Lance wrote:

> Should installation questions be sent here or to the admin listserv?

admin or general would be more appropriate for this type of question.

> The directory is called pgsql_data. The directory is more than a
> regular directory. It contains a subdirectory called "lost+found". I
> would assume this is a logical partition.

It's a partition of some sort. lost+found shows up in the root directory
of any partition you create, it's where damaged files found by fsck go.
See http://tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy/html/lostfound.html for
more information.

> I tried installing postgreSQL directly into this directory but it
> failed since there is a file in this directory, "lost+found". Is there
> a way around this? Worst case scenario I will create a subdirectory
> called data and put the install in there.

You will have to create subdirectory in this new partition in order for
initdb to have a place it can work in. What you should probably do here
is have your administrator rename the mount point to something more
generic, like "data" or "postgres", to avoid confusion here; then you'd
have PGDATA pointing to data/pgsql_data or postgres/pgsql_data which won't
be as confusing.