Re: Load Distributed Checkpoints, take 3

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Load Distributed Checkpoints, take 3
Date: 2007-06-26 18:22:16
Lists: pgsql-patches
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007, Tom Lane wrote:

> I have no doubt that there are scenarios such as you are thinking about,
> but it definitely seems like a corner case that doesn't justify keeping
> the all-buffers scan.  That scan is costing us extra I/O in ordinary
> non-corner cases, so it's not free to keep it.

And scenarios I'm concerned about but can't diagram as easily fall into
this category as well.  I agree that a LDC enabled config would ship with
the all-buffers scan turned off as redundant and wasteful, in which the
only cost to keep it is code baggage.  But the fact that there are corner
cases floating around this area is what makes me feel that removing it
altogether is still a bit premature.