Re: Controlling Load Distributed Checkpoints

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Controlling Load Distributed Checkpoints
Date: 2007-06-06 18:05:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007, Tom Lane wrote:

> If we don't know how to tune them, how will the users know?

I can tell you a good starting set for them to on a Linux system, but you
first have to let me know how much memory is in the OS buffer cache, the
typical I/O rate the disks can support, how many buffers are expected to
be written out by BGW/other backends at heaviest load, and the current
setting for /proc/sys/vm/dirty_background_ratio. It's not a coincidence
that there are patches applied to 8.3 or in the queue to measure all of
the Postgres internals involved in that computation; I've been picking
away at the edges of this problem.

Getting this sort of tuning right takes that level of information about
the underlying system. If there's a way to internally auto-tune the
values this patch operates on (which I haven't found despite months of
trying), it would be in the form of some sort of measurement/feedback loop
based on how fast data is being written out. There really are way too
many things involved to try and tune it based on anything else; the
underlying OS/hardware mechanisms that determine how this will go are
complicated enough that it might as well be a black box for most people.

One of the things I've been fiddling with the design of is a testing
program that simulates database activity at checkpoint time under load.
I think running some tests like that is the most straightforward way to
generate useful values for these tunables; it's much harder to try and
determine them from within the backends because there's so much going on
to keep track of.

I view the LDC mechanism as being in the same state right now as the
background writer: there are a lot of complicated knobs to tweak, they
all do *something* useful for someone, and eliminating them will require a
data-collection process across a much wider sample of data than can be
collected quickly. If I had to make a guess how this will end up, I'd
expect there to be more knobs in LDC than everyone would like for the 8.3
release, along with fairly verbose logging of what is happening at
checkpoint time (that's why I've been nudging development in that area,
along with making logs easier to aggregate). Collect up enough of that
information, then you're in a position to talk about useful automatic
tuning--right around the 8.4 timeframe I suspect.