Re: Documentation access problems.

From: Hugh Sasse <hgs(at)dmu(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Documentation access problems.
Date: 2007-03-23 17:50:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 23 Mar 2007, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Hugh Sasse wrote:

> > > Would fixed width font help you?
> >
> > That's almost the right question :-) but it's not the width of the
> > characters which would help, it is the width of the narrowest strokes
> > in the characters.  I don't have a clue what typographers would call
> > that.
>
> Maybe a completely different typeface like Gentium may be helpful?

Google gave me:
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=Gentium
and there are samples which are more readable in PDF.

The samples are on A5 rather than A4.  I wonder if the PostgreSQL docs
were output to A$ whether that might help me, because I'd be able to
double the size before lines flowed off the screen?   Thanks for this
info about Gentium -- I rather like it.

> > I suppose the question to ask now is: what is the current production
> > system for the PDFs?  If that is known then we can see what variables
> > can be adjusted within reason.  I'd like to improve it for me and others
> > in my position without making it typographically hideous for fully sighted
> > people :-).
>
> We use openjade.

Ah, so the HTML is the source, the DSSSL is used (about which I know
nothing) to get (to something to get to) the PDF.  It would take me
a while to reach the stage where I could contribute anything useful
in this area, alas.

        Thank you,
        Hugh