PITR recovery

From: "Ben K(dot)" <bkim(at)coe(dot)tamu(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PITR recovery
Date: 2007-01-05 18:59:51
Lists: pgsql-admin
Maybe this is answered somewhere or maybe self-evident, but I just wanted
to make sure. I want to know if it's possible to do PITR between different
platforms. I can try and learn, but if anyone knows, I'd appreciate it.

1. file formats

What is the chance that the file format of files under "data" is platform
independent? I.e. would it be possible to restore the file system backup
and use the PITR method from a Solaris/SPARC main to a Linux backup, using
their respective native file system? What are the minimal conditions to be

2. sql dump and PITR

Is it possible to use the PITR method with SQL dump? (pg_start_backup ->
sql dump -> pg_stop_backup) I guess not, but just want to make sure.

Ben K.

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Jeanna GeierDate: 2007-01-05 19:32:10