Re: Google's Summer of Code ...

From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jharris(at)tvi(dot)edu>,Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>,Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, rhassan(at)cs(dot)purdue(dot)edu
Subject: Re: Google's Summer of Code ...
Date: 2005-06-01 20:29:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> One concern that was raised off of this list was the steep learning curve to
> start with, to get to the point of beign able to do anything ...
>
> Do we have any 'students' that are already up to speed, enough so that they'd
> be able to accomplish something significant over a 2-3 month period?

I have a student who is already working on developing custom access method
to very large astronomical catalogues. Also, Ramy Hassan (rhassan(at)cs(dot)purdue(dot)edu)
from Purdue University is working on SP-GiST and I think his work would be
well suited for Google program.

> On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>

>> Are there any restrictions on 'mentor groups'?  For instance, could we
>> create a 'mentors' mailing list, closed subscriptions, that contained those
>> willing to actively mentor, so that those being mentor'd have multiple
>> ppl's knowledge's to feed upon?
>>
>> On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, Jonah H. Harris wrote:
>>
>>> My participation would be limited to the actual number of newcomers.  I
>>> feel comfortable helping 2 or 3 people; any more than that would impact my
>>> clients and consulting time.  Although, it would never hurt to have
>>> additional mentors :).

>> ----
>> Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
>> Email: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

>> TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your
>>     joining column's datatypes do not match
>>

> ----
> Email: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

>     joining column's datatypes do not match

 	Regards,
 		Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83