Re: Postgresql.org search engine.

From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql.org search engine.
Date: 2004-01-31 12:45:28
Lists: pgsql-www

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
> > Guys,
> >
> > > Do you have software to do this, including all the inter-posting
> > > references and followups? Or do you propose we write this all from
> > > scratch?
> >
> > Robert Bernier apparently wrote something to break up mail for inclusion in a
> > database, and should be able to help in a couple months. Josh Drake is also
> > willing to help, and has already done a prototype wiithout header searching.
>
> Dumping mail into a database isn't that hard to do ... there are several
> projects on the 'Net right now doing that, including one that connects a
> POP3 daemon into the database to download the mail ... in fact, from what
> I recall of fts.postgresql.org, isn't that what Oleg/Teodor's stuff does?
>
> I'm kinda curious here ... exactly what problem are we trying to solve
> here?
>
> Me, I'm just trying to clean up the archives so that when someone gets
> their search results, they don't all show the same 'text', which I've
> already accomplished ... Dave is working on improving the speed of the
> searches, which he has accomplished with ASPseek ...
>
> If I can figure out how to get the Date: of the posting into the
> Last-Modified field (I know *how* it should work, but last time I tried it
> ended up generating a whack of errors), then that should satisfy Oleg's
> beef ...
>
> Oleg, one question ... what do you recommend setting max-age to for
> Cache-control? Right now, I have it set to 30 days ... too long? not
> long enough?

in my experience Cache-control is not effective, because it's
HTTP/1.1 feature and a lot of users come through proxy which still
doesn't support HTTP/1.1
Last-Modified header is the most universal way.
Check http://www.mnot.net/cache_docs/#CACHE-CONTROL

> ----
> Marc G. Fournier Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
> Email: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org Yahoo!: yscrappy ICQ: 7615664

Regards,
Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83