Re: Postgresql.org search engine.

From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql.org search engine.
Date: 2004-01-30 20:01:02
Lists: pgsql-www

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

In principle, simple corrector could be implemented independent from
aspseek. If you have some dictionary of words, create trigrams of these
words, if query returns too many results create trigram of words in the
query and check which words from dictionary are close, i.e. compute
similarity weights (jaccard coefficents would be ok). More complex
algorithm we use in www.pgsql.ru and in our contrib/trgm

soundex, metaphone are good for english, while trigrams method is
universal.

> > Design suggestion: I'd like to see most important parts of
> > form at left side, for example, site selector, imho, better
> > to have left most, then grouping, format, number results per page.
>
> Yup, agreed.
>
> > Also, I don't like fixed width, in my browser I have to
> > scroll left-right to see a whole form :)
>
> The whole site is designed that way at the moment, but the new
> multilanguage version that's in development will be sizable. I hope to
> update the archives to a similar design at some point as well, just as
> soon as I've persuaded Marc that it's worth regenerating the messages
> again!

Why not have fully dynamic pages for mailing lists ? Proper configured
server with cacheing could be very fast.

> Regards, Dave.

Regards,
Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83