Re: Brain dump: btree collapsing

From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Brain dump: btree collapsing
Date: 2003-02-28 11:42:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alvaro,

you're welcome to put your hands on to GiST.
Me and Teodor hoped to add concurrency last year but we were too busy.
I consider concurrency issue the most important. There are also
some thoughts about improvement of GiST interface, though.

Regards,

Oleg
On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> >> The other is that now I am left without a graduate project :-(
>
> > [ various good suggestions ]
>
> FWIW, I would much rather see effort put into GiST than hash indexes.
> I think that btree and GiST will be our two primary index types in the
> long run. Hash and rtree don't have enough to recommend them to justify
> directing maintenance effort that way rather than to the big guys.
>
> Just MHO of course...
>
> regards, tom lane

Regards,
Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83