Re: New version of contrib-intarray

From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New version of contrib-intarray
Date: 2001-06-01 09:17:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 31 May 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su> writes:
> > New version of contrib-intarray for postgresql version 7.1 and above
> > is available from http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/
>
> I'm going to be making commits later today that clean up the "char*
> that should be Datum" ugliness in GiST. I think the intarray part
> of these changes overlap what you've done, so we're facing a bit of
> a merge problem. You should have let me know that you had more stuff
> in the pipeline.

We have been waiting for applying our patch to current sources
to be in sync. We'll change sources of new version of contrib-intarray
taking into account your comments.

Our TODO:

1. Implementation some btree_ops using GiST
But we need a solution of problem with different types of
key and column compatible with multi-key GiST index

2. After resolving the problem 1. we need to remove workaround in
rtree GiSt code

3. regression test for built-in rtree and based on it regression test for
GiST.

4. documentation and Guide for programmers

We badly need a solution from item 1 !!! We don't know internals of postgres
enough to resolve this problem ourselves. Do you have any idea ?

> > This version is independent from our work on multi-key GiST, so
> > if 7.1.3 is planned please use it.
>
> I do not think we should be committing such changes into the 7.1.*
> branch. At this point only critical bug fixes are going to go into
> that branch.

agreed. we'll put new versions on our page.

> regards, tom lane

Regards,
Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83