improve performance

From: Alexaki Sofia <alexaki(at)ics(dot)forth(dot)gr>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: improve performance
Date: 2001-01-15 13:07:56
Lists: pgsql-interfacespgsql-sql
Hello,

A)
I am going to load a huge amount of data in the DBMS using JDBC
and I want to reduce as much as possible the required loading time.

Initially I loaded all data in one transaction. Subsequently, I increased
the number of buffers and disabled fsync() (-o -F) and I loaded the
data again but the performance was almost unchanged. Does it make sense??
How can I improve performance?  To note that no indexes are created on the
tables and that I load both "insert into" and "create table" statements.
------------------------------
B)
I want to reduce the space (8 Kb) allocated by
DBMS when more space is required to load the data in a table. I reduced
the parameter BLCKSZ but the space allocated remains the same, that is 8
KB.
How can the allocated space be reduced? If the space was reduced
would loading time and query time increase?

Thank you in advance for your help
Sofia Alexaki

pgsql-interfaces by date