finding indexed functions from pg_index

From: Scott Cain <cain(at)cshl(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: finding indexed functions from pg_index
Date: 2005-09-20 18:15:36
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Hi,

I am trying to modify SQL::Translator, a perl module for translating
various dialects of SQL ddl (table, index creates, constraints, etc) (and
it does other cool things too, check it out!), to talk directly to a
PostgreSQL database to determine what tables it has, what columns they
have, indexes, constraints, etc.  I have mostly figured out what I need
from pg_namespace, pg_class, pg_index and pg_attribute.

What I haven't figure out is this: how does one determine what the
declarative statement is for a functional index that is obtained from
pg_index.indexprs?  What I would like to be able to do is be able to
recreate the SQL that defined that index.  Is that represented somewhere
in another system table?

Thanks,
Scott

Scott Cain, Ph. D.				 	 cain(at)cshl(dot)org
GMOD Coordinator, http://www.gmod.org/			 (216)392-3087

pgsql-interfaces by date