Re: Full-text searching and/or word indexing

From: "D(dot) Duccini" <duccini(at)backpack(dot)com>
To: Thomas Weholt <Thomas(at)cintra(dot)no>
Cc: "'pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Full-text searching and/or word indexing
Date: 2000-06-26 08:06:29
Lists: pgsql-novice

i assume that you're going to know the column name you're searching on

in which case, just use the regular expression ~*

ie:

select title from movies where title ~* 'alien';

-duck

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000, Thomas Weholt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to use full text searching on my PostgreSQL 7.0.2 database. Ok, to be
> exact I want to somehow be able to type the word
> alien and get a record set containing "Alien", "Alien 3" and "Alien
> Resurection". ( "Aliens" could should also be returned but that would
> probably take more time, so I`ll go with plain hits to begin with. )
>
> How can this be done? If it`s not possible using just PostgreSQL, what is
> the best tool for the job? ( I`m using Python and Zope for the rest of the
> project, so if anybody has solutions using these tools that would be
> perfect. )
>
> Thomas

david(at)backpack(dot)com BackPack Software, Inc. www.backpack.com
+1 651.645.7550 voice "Life is an Adventure.
+1 651.645.9798 fax Don't forget your BackPack!"