Re: tab completion in psql

From: Peter Eisentraut <e99re41(at)DoCS(dot)UU(dot)SE>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: tab completion in psql
Date: 1999-11-30 17:41:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I liked the new tab competion ability in psql. Seems to work well in
> CREATE * but not so great in the others, like doing FROM and WHERE. Can
> you take a look at backend/parser/keywords.c and see if you can merge
> completion for those words in to psql. It may be a nice feature.

The tab completion is not very smart, it only covers the really obvious
cases. Doing FROM shouldn't be so hard, but once you get into WHERE you
almost end up writing a complete SQL parser just for this. Not that
there's anything fundamentally wrong with that. It's a very evolving piece
of code, however; it can only get better. I bet those readline authors
never had this one in mind. Otherwise readline would play nicer with it.

--
Peter Eisentraut Sernanders vaeg 10:115
peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net 75262 Uppsala