Re: [HACKERS] Re: setsockopt(SO_REUSEADDR) (Re: Call for porting reports)

From: Peter Eisentraut <e99re41(at)DoCS(dot)UU(dot)SE>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Kardos, Dr(dot) Andreas" <kardos(at)repas-aeg(dot)de>, hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: setsockopt(SO_REUSEADDR) (Re: Call for porting reports)
Date: 2000-04-14 11:20:12
Lists: pgsql-ports
On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, Tom Lane wrote:

> That doesn't strike me as sufficient; it is quite likely that that
> will find a perl 4.  Does your help-building script run on perl 4?

No idea. Does anyone have Perl 4 and can try it (and fix it)? Surely Perl
4 supports regular expressions and flow control.

> If not, look at USE_PERL, which puts it on the user's shoulders to
> make sure that he's got a compatible perl.

But USE_PERL determines whether to build the Pg.pm module. Your proposal
will lead to most obvious failures if someone checks out the CVS tree and
builds without --with-perl. The solution is to test for the required
program, not to overload configuration options.

> I've stated twice now that I thought that we should never try to do
> setsockopt(SO_REUSEADDR) on the Unix socket.  I am going to remove
> the ifdef check tomorrow, unless you beat me to it.

Didn't make a difference. :( I'm out of wisdom now, so my verdict is don't
use Unix sockets on this platform. Now if there was only an option to turn
them off ...

Residual observations:

1) The broken pipe errors I am talking about always occur after the system
has been up and used a little while. That is, in the parallel regression
tests I always get the failures in the last half or third, mostly after
the "misc" test.

2) Doing a chmod a-x /tmp/.s.PGSQL.65432 right after postmaster startup
seems to cut down on the number of occurences of this problem.

peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net                   75262 Uppsala