Re: [SQL] database with 1000000 rows is very slow

From: Peter Eisentraut <e99re41(at)DoCS(dot)UU(dot)SE>
To: David Celjuska <dcsoft(at)dcsoft(dot)sk>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] database with 1000000 rows is very slow
Date: 2000-03-06 07:22:05
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Sun, 5 Mar 2000, David Celjuska wrote:

> CREATE UNIQUE INDEX "article_pkey" on "article" using btree ( "id"
> "varchar_ops" );

> this database store. But I think that select * from article where id
> like 'something%' is very slow (some minutes) and query as: select *
> from article where id='something' is very slow too. I don't know where
> is a problem a I would like optimalise this, but how can I do it?

If you haven't run vacuum analyze lately then you should do that.

> When I use hash except btree, query as: select * from article where
> id='something' is fast but select * from article where id='something%'
> is very slow.

Yup. That's because hashes only work on exact matches and btrees can do
ordering (like 'somethink' is surely "larger" than 'something%').

> Or postgresql make indexes automaticly?

No, you have to make them, but you did that right.

> How can I see that postgres use/or no use index on some query? It is
> possible?

Yup. EXPLAIN SELECT ....

In fact, if you can't make any progress you should always accompany any
optimizer issues with the EXPLAIN output. That will help our optimizer
gurus. :)

--
Peter Eisentraut Sernanders väg 10:115
peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net 75262 Uppsala