Re: [HACKERS] freefuncs.c is never called from anywhere!?

From: Peter Eisentraut <e99re41(at)DoCS(dot)UU(dot)SE>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] freefuncs.c is never called from anywhere!?
Date: 2000-01-31 13:41:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > > However, I can't find any macro that uses this like makeNode does with
> > > its pasteing.  I would perhaps move it to a _deadcode directory and see
> > > what happens.  Or should we enable it?
> >
> > Please no more _deadcode. Why do we have CVS?
> >
> > (In the same spirit it would also be nice to tag NOT_USED sections with a
> > version number, so it could be yanked two or three releases past.)
>
> Why not just yank it period?  'cvs diff' will show what was yanked, and
> the log message could say just 'yanked NOT_USED code from source tree'...

I *suspect* the purpose of some of these sections is that if it turns out
somebody needed them for their application, we could just tell them to
re-enable them there and there. If this is the case, then it has gone way
past abuse already, though. Some parts of been NOT_USED for many years and
most likely don't work anymore.

peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net                   75262 Uppsala