Re: [HACKERS] NULL as an argument in plpgsql functions (fwd)

From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] NULL as an argument in plpgsql functions (fwd)
Date: 1999-09-29 14:38:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thanks Tom for explanation. I'm giving up :-)
Will wait ... Just surprised how many things are covered from
casual glimpse.
It seems that Perl is the only panacea for all kind of problem.

BTW, I think this bug must be written in documentation so people
will not spent time as me or at leaset in release notices.

Regards,

Oleg

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Tom Lane wrote:

> Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 09:55:15 -0400
> From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
> To: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
> Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
> Subject: Re: [HACKERS] NULL as an argument in plpgsql functions (fwd)
>
> Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su> writes:
> > Is this a bug or feature ?
>
> It's a bug. Fixing it will require a wholesale code revision, however
> (see my prior postings about redesigning the function call interface).
>
> This is something we need to do for 6.6, IMHO, not only because of
> the NULL-argument issue but also because it will solve the portability
> problems that are being created by the existing fmgr interface (Alpha
> bugs, need to dumb down to -O0 on some platforms, etc). I've been
> trying to summon the will to get started on it, but other things keep
> getting in the way...
>
> > Also, it seems there is a limitation to a number of arguments.
>
> Yes, 8. I'm not planning to do anything about that in the near term.
> Even just making the limit configurable would be a lot of work :-(
>
> regards, tom lane

phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83