Re: [NOVICE] a couple of newbie question

From: "D(dot) Duccini" <duccini(at)backpack(dot)com>
To: Matthew Denny <mdenny(at)CS(dot)Berkeley(dot)EDU>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [NOVICE] a couple of newbie question
Date: 2000-04-16 19:17:22
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
You insert it by NOT inserting it.

insert into test_table (col_x, col_y) values (:x, :y);

you basically omit any column you do not want to insert values for

-duck

On Sun, 16 Apr 2000, Matthew Denny wrote:

> I know this question is probably fairly elementary, but I could not
> find the answer in the docs or mailing list archives.  How does one handle
> NULL values in the embedded SQL interface?  For example, if I have a
> statement:
>
> exec sql insert into test_table values(:foo, :x, :y)
>
> and foo represents a CHAR attribute (represented by a string in C) that I
> want to set to NULL, how do I go about doing this?  Similarly, how do
> I tell that a value put into a variable by a fetch call is NULL or
> not?
>
> On a different note, is there any list of error codes for the actual
> postgreSQL errors, or is the only thing a user can get back is the
> text message in sqlca.sqlerrm.sqlerrmc (e.g. no associated error #)?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> thanks,
> Matt

david(at)backpack(dot)com            BackPack Software, Inc.        www.backpack.com
+1 651.645.7550 voice       "Life is an Adventure.
+1 651.645.9798 fax            Don't forget your BackPack!"