Re: A basic Statement.getGeneratedKeys() implementation (patch attached)

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Adam B <adamb(at)videx(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A basic Statement.getGeneratedKeys() implementation (patch attached)
Date: 2009-05-01 20:54:20
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Fri, 1 May 2009, Adam B wrote:

> Our webapp relies heavily on JDBC's Statement.getGeneratedKeys()
> abstraction. We are investigating switching from Mysql to Postgre so I
> created a basic implementation of this feature in the 8.3-604 version of
> the driver. The diff patch is attached.

This has some pretty severe restrictions and some more that aren't
mentioned (overriding getUpdateCount(), not using the V2 protocol which
has nothing to do with JDBC2/3). We've implemented generated key
support in CVS for the upcoming 8.4 release that is more robust, but makes
some other tradeoffs (returning all columns rather that just a single
key). Could you test this out in your application?

CVS info here:

http://jdbc.postgresql.org/development/cvs.html

A thread discussing how it doesn't work for a Spring application here:

http://archives.postgresql.org//pgsql-jdbc/2009-04/threads.php#00081

Kris Jurka