Re: text type handling

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Ken Boss <Ken(dot)Boss(at)dnr(dot)state(dot)mn(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: text type handling
Date: 2008-12-03 19:52:08
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008, Ken Boss wrote:

> Thanks much for your response, Kris. I have been able to make things
> work for my purposes by applying the patch suggested by Daniel Migowski
> in the thread referenced below. I tried to implement your suggestion as
> well, but know only enough to be dangerous. Returning Integer.MAX_VALUE
> from the Oid..TEXT case in the getPrecision method of TypeInfoCache.java
> had no discernible effect - I must have been coding in the wrong place.
> At any rate, I will look forward to that fix in the next release.

That's basically what I had in mind, but for a couple more types as well
(see the attached patch). If this doesn't work we need to know that so we
can come up with something else, so your testing is appreciated. Can you
be more clear about what Crystal Reports does when it gets confused? Is
it possible that CR is trying to calculate a total row size in an integer
value and overflows when it sees Integer.MAX_VALUE? If so, returning some
other large, but not huge value might work.

Kris Jurka

Attachment Content-Type Size
unknown-variable-precision.patch text/plain 1.6 KB