Re: text type handling

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Ken Boss <Ken(dot)Boss(at)dnr(dot)state(dot)mn(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: text type handling
Date: 2008-12-02 22:40:13
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008, Ken Boss wrote:

> ... that postgres text datatypes appear to Crystal as String fields of
> length -1, which confuses the software and prohibits their use.  This is
> particularly problematic given postgresql's proclivity for casting the
> results of concatenations, unions, etc. to text on-the-fly.
>
> I see a long thread related to this topic from about a year ago here:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2007-12/msg00145.php , but it
> seems to have run its course without coming to any specific conclusions.

The conclusion that Oliver and I seemed to come to was that the type
returned should not be changed, but instead the precision should be
changed from -1 to Integer.MAX_VALUE.  This change hasn't been made yet,
but that will happen before the 8.4 release.  This change won't be
backpatched to earlier driver releases for backwards compatibility
reasons.

Kris Jurka