Re: UUID datatype

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Andrew <archa(at)pacific(dot)net(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UUID datatype
Date: 2008-09-30 04:56:50
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008, Kris Jurka wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008, Andrew wrote:
>
>> I'm wondering about the timeline or plans if any for JDBC driver support of
>> the recently added UUID datatype in PostgreSQL?
>
> There aren't any exact plans, but I was thinking we would map the pg uuid
> type onto the java.util.UUID type.  The only problem with that is
> java.util.UUID only appeared in the 1.5 JDK, so we'd only be able to support
> it for some driver versions.

I've committed code to CVS to support the UUID type.  This is now the
first time there's a real distinction between the 1.4 and 1.5 JDK builds.
Previously I've been doing all JDBC3 releases with a 1.4 JDK which will
not support java.util.UUID.  I don't plan on publishing the separate
JDBC3g (g stands for the generics JDK1.5 needs) build that is generated
from a 1.5 build because we already have enough release versions.  So
unless there are serious objections, if people want UUID support they'll
need to use the JDBC 4 release or build from source.

Kris Jurka