Re: [JDBC] need help of getting PK after insertRow in JDBC

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: "Chen, Dongdong (GE Healthcare, consultant)" <Dongdong(dot)Chen(at)ge(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [JDBC] need help of getting PK after insertRow in JDBC
Date: 2008-09-26 05:39:50
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-jdbc

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008, Chen, Dongdong (GE Healthcare, consultant) wrote:

> I am a software engineer from GE. I am using JDBC to operate
> PostgreSQL8.3 in Ubuntu8.04. The develop environment is Eclipse3.2 My
> problem is:
> There is a PostgreSQL table XX containing 5 fields: AA, BB, CC, DD,
> EE, AA is primary key and auto-generated type, BB, CC, DD and EE is
> string type.
> I want to get the value of AA immediately after insert a row into
> the table. the code is like this:
>
> Statement st = db.creatStatement(ResultSet.TYPE_SCROLL_SENSITIVE,
> ResultSet.CONCUR_UPDATABLE);

The JDBC driver does not implement true SCROLL_SENSITIVE cursors. The
driver copies the values you provide into its ResultSet and sends the
query to the backend. On the server the auto-generated values are filled
in, but the JDBC driver doesn't get any notification of that. Perhaps
with newer server versions we can make it issue a INSERT ... RETURNING ...
so that we get that data.

> I am not sure it is proper to send this mail to this mail list. Sorry if
> bring you any inconvenience.

Generally cross posting should be avoided and JDBC/Java questions should
be directed to the -jdbc list, but this is a very good question and one
that does prompt further investigation about what can be done in the JDBC
driver to make this better.

Kris Jurka