Re: COPY support in JDBC driver?

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Michael Nacos <m(dot)nacos(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: COPY support in JDBC driver?
Date: 2008-09-24 18:24:16
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008, Michael Nacos wrote:

> if you want COPY support from the JDBC driver just for performance reasons,
> you should probably also consider using the driver's batch mode.

Copy is quite a bit faster than batch execution.  See:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2008-02/msg00018.php

> Encoding is a serious consideration. While testing pgBee, I ran into
> problems inserting codepage 1252 files into a SQL_ASCII database,
> because of character mismatches.

You should not use a SQL_ASCII database if you care about encoding your
data properly.  Once you put data in, there is no way of telling what
encoding it was inserted with, so there is no way of retrieving it
correctly.

Kris Jurka