Re: numeric type

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Peter <peter(at)greatnowhere(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: numeric type
Date: 2008-07-29 17:09:56
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008, Peter wrote:

> OK, I hear ya. How about allowing user to set the default precision and
> scale values for "numeric" type? Not sure how this would be done in JDBC
> world but should be doable.

You could add URL parameters like unspecifiedNumericPrecision=1000 and
unspecificedNumericScale=500, but the tradeoff is how much work is it to
add these options to the URL parsing code and then pass them around, add
it to the datasource implementation, add it to the documentation, and ...

If there was some big important app that everyone wanted to use that blew
up on this I'd bet we'd do it, but I haven't heard a whole lot of
complaints about this problem.

Is this an important issue for other people?

Kris Jurka