Re: JDBC and GSSAPI/Krb5 with uDig

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: JDBC and GSSAPI/Krb5 with uDig
Date: 2008-05-08 06:30:44
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Tue, 6 May 2008, Stephen Frost wrote:

> Regarding creating a login.conf, etc. I've gotten it to the point
> where I can use GSSAPI (requires an 8.3 server, but that's not a huge
> problem) to authenticate from uDig if I provide both a username and a
> password to uDig.

You should have only needed a username, not a password. The previous
version didn't set a default username, so without one it wouldn't know who
to connect to the server as. The actual authentication should have gone
through without needing the password.

I've put up a new version here that pulls the default username from the
environment.

http://www.ejurka.com/pgsql/jars/gss3/

> Anyone know how this is going to work on a Windows platform?

No idea, I've only been testing on Debian with MIT Kerberos as well.

> Is it possible that 'setLogin' is forcing it to try and get a new
> ticket by providing a password?

It's not clear without some further study as this is a couple steps
removed from the JDBC API by some additional factory stuff.

> I couldn't find 'MyGSSTest' in the above thread to look at and compare,
> unfortunately. A working example would be nice, if available.

I've put it up in the same directory as the jar file.

Kris Jurka