Re: invalid message format and I/O error while comunicating with backend

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Sergi Vera <svera(at)emovilia(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: invalid message format and I/O error while comunicating with backend
Date: 2008-04-14 15:35:59
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008, Sergi Vera wrote:

> ERROR:  message format invalid
> FATAL:  message type of frontend 0 is not valid
>
> Besides this <unnamed> that appears on the sentences not much more info
> is shown on the logs.
> Sometimes the number associated whith the fronted changes Sometimes it's
> 0 sometimes it's 255..

This makes it look like the JDBC driver is doing something wrong when
calculating a message length or message content for the frontend/backend
protocol.  If you've got a self-contained test case we could take a
look at that.  If not can you try adding loglevel=2 to your JDBC URL to
get debugging information from the driver?  Also capturing the network
traffic with tcpdump would be interesting.

Kris Jurka