Re: JDBC and GSSAPI/Krb5

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: "Henry B(dot) Hotz" <hotz(at)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov>
Cc: Peter Koczan <pjkoczan(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: JDBC and GSSAPI/Krb5
Date: 2007-12-06 20:05:52
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007, Henry B. Hotz wrote:

> If they are wire-compatible then there is no reason to use a different value
> on the wire to differentiate them.  This is the point that I said I didn't
> understand.

I think the point is that a client using the SSPI library can operate
wire-compatibly with a server using the GSSSPI library, but that only
happens with the auth type of "gss".  When the "sspi" auth type is used,
that signals to a client using the SSPI library to do something
non wire-compatible and that's why the two auth types are used.

Kris Jurka