Re: Caching driver on pgFoundry?

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Caching driver on pgFoundry?
Date: 2007-09-05 17:27:44
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Wed, 5 Sep 2007, Josh Berkus wrote:

>> Can't you use DBCP or some other open source statement cache
>> implementation that's in a more mature state?
>
> Unfortunately, no.  The benchmark is already out.

But that benchmark was run with a different caching implementation than
the wrapper version, so I'm not sure how that's relevant.  When Sun chose
to use unpublished and unreviewed code for the benchmark they got
themselves in a little bind and I'm not sure it's our job to bail them out
by publishing and advertising code that we're not confident in.  Heikki,
Oliver, and myself did not believe the code used by Sun in the benchmark
was correct in the general case so it was rejected for inclusion in the
core driver.  Dave/Lazlo have since started a new implemention on
pgfoundry, but that was never discussed with the JDBC list or submitted
for inclusion.

To satisfy the benchmark requirements, Sun should publish the code/driver
actually used in the benchmark somewhere on Sun's website and, if honest,
should recommend that people don't use it.  From there we should try to
gather some consensus on whether PG needs its own statement cache
implementation and then rerun the benchmarks with it or some other
implementation.

Kris Jurka