Re: Support for ResultSetMetaData.getTableName

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: David Goodenough <david(dot)goodenough(at)btconnect(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Support for ResultSetMetaData.getTableName
Date: 2007-08-27 04:58:46
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007, David Goodenough wrote:

> There was talk about this needing "the new communications protocol", but
> that was some years ago.  Are we still awaiting a new version of the
> protocol that support this, or can it be implemented on what it there
> now?  By now I am referring to 8.2, but if it is not there, can be it
> added to 8.3?

The discussion was focused on the ability of the server to return the
alias of a table as well as the base table name.  Because getColumnName
will return "b" for "SELECT a AS b FROM c AS d" we have decided that
getTableName should return "d" instead of "c".  Right now the server will
tell the driver about a, b, and c, but not d.  So we're sort of waiting
for the server to return "d", but no plans have been made to extend the
protocol to include this information at this point.  So you'll have to
keep waiting or use PGResultSetMetaData.getBaseTableName to return "c"
instead of "d".

Kris Jurka