Re: tsearch2 in 8.3

From: Jeremy Drake <pgsql(at)jdrake(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Naz Gassiep <naz(at)mira(dot)net>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: tsearch2 in 8.3
Date: 2007-04-25 06:48:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Naz Gassiep wrote:
> > A few of us on IRC were wondering what the status of tsearch2 is in 8.3 ?
> > Was it decided to include it in core or did we decide to keep FTS as a
> > plugin?
> > Some brief comments from anyone on the inside of the whole FTS issue
> > would be greatly appreciated by us mere end users.
> > Regards,
>
> The patch is in the patch queue and we will try to get it into 8.3.

Let me just say, that for me this is the most anticipated feature for 8.3.
Along with the patch to allow the database owner to create trusted PLs,
this will allow me to move all but one of my databases to my hosting
provider's PostgreSQL instance from my own instance running in my home
directory (the one I cannot move also requires dblink). I can only
imagine there are other users out there in similar circumstances to mine.
I was lucky enough to find a hosting provider with shell access where I
can run a postgres instance and that I already had the know-how to do so.
Without running my own instance, my only other option was to choose the
lesser of two evils: do without FTS, or use MySQL. ;)

Sorry for the rant, I just wanted to make sure that people knew that this
is not just cosmetic, or a restructure for its own sake, but will actually
help real world users.

--
The cow is nothing but a machine which makes grass fit for us people to
eat.